Installing the Pyrocam III
Included below are helpful hints for installing the Pyrocam III, particularly in Windows 7.
Note; in general we recommend to not use 4-pin on-board 1394 FireWire ports (that can be found on some laptop computers) since they tend to be less reliable and/or cause the Pyrocam III to freeze when running. Instead we recommend using 6-pin plug-in adapter FireWire cards that support the 1394a 400MBS protocol used with the Pyrocam III. In newer Laptops with only ExpressCard slots, a 1394b 800MBS ExpressCard Adapter with a 9-pin FireWire connector can be used as long as you use a 9-pin to 6-pin FireWire cable.
Alo note; since the Pyrocam III is a 1394a (400 MBS) device it does not automatically work with the Windows 7 1394 driver intended for 1394b (800MBS) as explained below. Windows 7 contains a new set of 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller drivers that will not communicate with the Pyrocam III. The solution is to manually replace the default "Texas Instruments 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller" with the "1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy)".
To replace the default Texas Instruments 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller:
- Open up Control Panel. Switch the View by in the upper right corner to Large Icons. Click on Device Manager.
- Click the arrow next to "IEEE 1394 Bus host controllers"…(if you have recently run a Point Grey camera, the 1394 port will appear as a Point Grey Research Devices)
- Right-click on the 1394 port you wish to "fix", select Update Driver… The Hardware Update Wizard is displayed. Select "Browse my computer for driver software" .
- Select "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".
- Go up in the list and select "1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy)". Click Next.
- When the Microsoft driver is installed, click Close.
You also need to install the Pyrocam III camera driver from the BeamGage Camera Driver Manager or from the Pyrocam III Camera Driver Installation available from our web site at;
With the Pyrocam III Camera Driver Installation, we recommend that you right mouse click on the Setup.exe and select “Run as Administrator” when installing it.
The following notes apply to Pyrocam III installation in Windows XP…
If the BeamGage Camera Driver Manager or Pyrocam III Camera Driver Installation doesn’t work to install the Pyrocam3Wdf.sys driver properly, do the following;
Go to the Device Manager and with the Pyrocam III connected, you should see it listed under Imaging Devices with a yellow exclamation error mark. Right click on the Pyrocam III and select Update driver…
- Select “install from a list or specific location (Advanced)” click Next
- Select “Search for the best driver in these locations.”
- Select “Include this location in the search:”
- Browse to C:\Program Files\Spiricon\PyrocamKMDF click OK
- Click Next
- Click Finish